Some decades later, I finished Jerry Boy, the game that would become Smart Ball after Sony Imagesoft finished stripping out every bit of the story. The action-stages remain untampered, some work was done to tighten the controls, but almost every NPC was tossed in a void. Bit of a shame really. Without towns and their residents, the world feels empty and a bit too surreal. Hell, the fact that Jerry is a prince was unknown to me until just recently. I also didn't know that the guy who gets turned into a larger villainous blob is actually Jerry's brother, Tom (also a prince). The whole reason this mess occurred is because Tom made a deal with an evil magician to screw over Jerry and steal his bride-to-be. Why am I suddenly reminded of Area 88? Never mind.
Jerry Boy was the second game designed by Game Freak. If Ken Sugimori's art didn't give it away, the quirky mechanics and light puzzle-solving certainly would have. At first, being a blob isn't much different than being a plumber. Press B or A to jump, hold down Y or X to speed-up, and tap the L or R buttons to expunge any objects residing within the goo. Leaping onto a baddie doesn't immediately end their life. Instead, Jerry sits atop them SMB2 USA style. In time, manual-less players will discover that pressing down flattens the hero (and anything close-by) while pressing up does a bird-bashing stretch. Besides increasing his speed, Y or X causes the blob to stick to walls or ceilings he makes contact with. Each level provides numerous orbs that can be held inside of Jerry's body. Most exist to be thrown at the nearest enemy, but seeds, iron balls, and high-jump orbs have different uses.
The hitboxes in Jerry Boy are not good. I'm sure there's at least one person in the world who is sick to death of hearing about hitboxes. In a way, I agree. Cutting down a retro title because of intangible objects does sometimes feel like a shortcut. It's like a free pass to avoid discussing level-design, bosses, or the other elements that form a game. Just say the hitboxes are not good and write everything else off. Review done. I don't want to be like that because I think the level-design is really solid. There are cute ideas interspersed throughout, all of which take advantage of the blob's unique characteristics. I like sliding through tunnels and doubling back if I'm about to bump into an enemy. Using other foes as if they were stepping stools is also handled very well. However, the most miniscule of missteps is enough to put Jerry in a life-threatening state or straight into the grave, and I won't accept the blame for all of his pain.
In short, Jerry Boy doesn't reach its full potential. Thrilling battles had to be cut short. Complex obstacle courses were circumvented. This platformer is cute and creative, but it punishes every invasion of personal space with grievous harm. Maybe that shouldn't matter in a game where spare lives pile up to the ceiling, but it does affect my enjoyment. The music holds up pretty well at least.

No comments:
Post a Comment