Friday, August 21, 2026

2026 Special - Super Mario Bros. - Peach's Adventure

For reasons unexplored, I've been having a serious bugbear of a time allocating words towards this Super Mario World romhack. Super Mario Bros. - Peach's Adventure is a straightforward mash-up of all-things classic Mario. The art-direction is clearly inspired by SMB1, and there are frequent references to other titles like SMB3 and SML2. Besides utilizing its engine as well as some of its mechanics, this hack has a surprising lack of SMW. I'm actually very pleased with the decision. Fair warning: expect the next however many sentences to be filled with early-morning ramblings. 

Although I'm well-aware of the amazing work that has gone into Super Mario World hacking, the results often don't catch my interest. Taking a mechanically rich and experimental game like Nintendo's 1991 classic to new heights with a slew of original levels is amazing, no doubt about that. To me, however, it represents a commitment that I'd never be able to make time for. Not to mention, SMW is just one of several games that I want to move on from. Probably not even a week ago, I lamented that people aren't seeking out enough original stuff. Empty words from someone who'd then spend an entire weekend playing the randomizer that combines Super Metroid and Link to the Past. The worst part is I never finished a single run. They stalled out after I grabbed the easy-to-reach items, almost like some twisted gatcha where the first 100 pulls are free. 

This road to false equivalency is not one I intend to continue walking, but the randomizer incident has left me questioning what I truly enjoy about the classics. Is it the level-design? The controls? Or just finding some cool items? Super Mario World is a game that I've spent years with. The muscle memory is so entrenched that you could slide a controller into the hands of my fresh corpse, and they'd finish two 96 exit playthroughs before the rigor mortis sets in. Maybe that's the problem right there. Is finding exits all I care about? Everything else could just be a means to an end. For me, playing a SMW hack would be a risk. If I quit the instant I run into some friction, then I'll likely go back to the original for hours upon hours of exit gathering. Imagine playing games purely for the regurgitated sense of accomplishment. There're likely some deeper issues going on here, but I can't spend every review digging into them.

Super Mario Bros. - Peach's Adventure is a total conversion, and it's perfect for me. Mario has been kidnapped by Bowser. Stopping him requires a Princess willing to hop & bop her way through eight distinct worlds, all of which are stuffed with classic platforming goodness. I really like how charming and straightforward this is. There aren't any overcomplicated inputs to master or levels that require a dozen tries to survive. The emphasis is placed on breezy action that anyone can pick up and enjoy. Those willing to tackle the optional challenges will be rewarded with some fun extras. 


The power-ups are a delightful mishmash of favorites. Peach can easily roast or freeze adversity with the requisite flower. Leaves have replaced capes as the go-to flying accessory, though any need to actually take flight has been pared down quite a lot. Like I said, this is very much not a SMW game. Keeping a leaf nearby for the all-important hover is still handy though. My personal favorites are the boomerang & hammer. Throwing blunt objects is just a lovely thing to do. One other appreciative feature is that getting hit while carrying a weapon doesn't shrink the Princess. She gets to remain la- errh bi- um... tall-ish, until she takes damage a second time. Yeah, I guess I should point out that Peach's look is a little unexpected. It's all good though. This isn't an exploitative game. Plus, I think it's really cute how she's 60% hair.


Each level does a fine job of emulating traditional Mario action, but with enough surprises to keep things extra interesting. Almost every level contains five star-coins. Starting off, these shinies are located in plain sight and within arm's reach but steadily become harder to obtain as the adventure progresses. A handful are often tucked away in side-areas. They're not that hidden, especially for those who try to duck into every pipe they see, but anyone missing 2 or 3 after clearing a level might've overlooked a big detour. Collecting all of the coins in a level does mean that deaths aren't allowed. Thankfully, most levels are short enough so that retrying for full coinage isn't an ordeal. I can't say that I didn't get mildly annoyed a couple of times though. The final world has some beefy levels with easy-to-miss coins.

Also, I just think it's really fun how classic game stuff is incorporated into every level. It means that there's always something to look forward to. The frustration-free approach to obstacles is also kind-of amazing. Even the obligatory mine-kart levels just fly by. My mind was in a constant state of "Oh, this is neat". This conversion was clearly designed to move at a semi-brisk pace, as if the creator wants players to see everything, but without the repetition of constant retries. Balance between the old & new is handled really well. I never felt like I was just going through the motions or seeing things just for the sake of it. It's purposeful, smart game-design. 

So yeah, I think Super Mario Bros. - Peach's Adventure is worth a recommendation. Fans of the NES trilogy will find a lot to like. Using SMW as the base for a decidedly un-SMW game was a very clever move. Speaking entirely for myself, the lack of absurdist mechanics is really appreciated. I got to experience a fun quest while keeping thoughts of checking out more hacks in the furthest recesses of my mind. Again, I don't intend any offense towards Super Mario World hackers. There is a ton of brilliant work out there. A ton! It's just a rabbit hole I'd prefer to dance around if possible. The instant I fall in is the instant I'm right back to 96 exit-farming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment