Sunday, September 23, 2018

Post-CEOtaku 2018 thoughts


As someone who writes about videogames, I’ve often struggled with the question: “Are videogames art?” Some out there would argue that videogames are just that, games. They’re the artistic equivalent of, say, basketball or backgammon. Though I don’t share that opinion, I’m also of the belief that a videogame’s artistic quality isn’t found in its graphics, sound, or cut-scenes. To me, the art has always been found in actually playing the game. This is a medium that thrives on interactivity.  How did I come to this conclusion? It’s pretty simple really. All I had to do was visit a fighting game tournament.

While I’ve certainly watched plenty of tournament streams, they just don’t compare to being at the venue. For one thing, there’s always this…energy. There are hundreds upon hundreds of players, all participating in matches. Each and every single one of them has their own story, and it is that story that brought them to the venue. It doesn’t matter if it’s the top 8, pools, or just casuals; everyone is giving their all. All the matches that they play are filled with countless close-calls, amazing finishes, incredible comebacks, and devastating losses. It’s overwhelming when you think about it. So much can happen in a single fight, let alone several thousand.

Witnessing all of this firsthand was an incredible experience. I could add up all of the words I’ve ever written about videogames, and they still wouldn’t compare to just a single night at an event. This, as far as I’m concerned, is what’s real. It is adrenaline and emotion, all wrapped tidily inside every moment, and it is beautiful. There will always be videogames that take place in another place or another time, but what really matters is the here and now. It will always be about the moment, the culmination of the player’s experiences, their practice, and their sacrifice. It’s that moment that drives them to go beyond their limits.

I guess at this point all I can really hope for is that I never lose sight of that moment. Though I lost my competitive edge well over a decade ago, there are still times where I find the right game, the one that pushes me to strive beyond my perceived limits. It is in this zone, where the difference between victory and defeat is measured in pixels, that I discover what’s real. It’s how I create art.

To everyone out there who has never attended a fighting game tournament, for me to say “You’re missing out” would be the understatement of a lifetime. Even if you’re not the biggest fan of the genre, you’re still going to meet tons of impassioned people, all with their own stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment